Sunday, February 06, 2005

Causality diagram

Causality can be deterministic or probabilistic.

Probabilistic causality can be normothetic or idiographic.

(That's the diagram part)

So my interpretation of what that means is this (correct me if I'm wrong, please!):

Normothetic causality is one or two major contributors causing an effect. Idographic causality is a long list of every factor affecting a given situation. Nigem used the Crime example in class. Both are probalistic.

Deterministic Causality is the harder one to me. It's X determines Y and it's NOT probable, it's concrete. If X, then Y (so it's sufficient causality)?

Maybe an alternate question: What is Deterministic Causality?

1 Comments:

Blogger harvestorm said...

All I have to offer on this one is that:

Causality can be either deterministic or Probabilistic.

Probabilistic causality can be either Nomothetic (examines causal patterns, generalizes, good for using in surveys) or Ideographic (highly detailed and descriptive, particularizes, good for fieldwork).

I don't have anything more than the tem written down for Deterministic Causality (I guess I thought I knew it well enough to not need a written reminder or explanation - I won't do that again!)

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home