Sunday, April 10, 2005

Ch9 Notes and Qs

Notes on my Homework from Nigem discussion of answers:

Secondary analysis' biggest problem is VALIDITY. The biggest benifit besides cost is in scale testing.

Types of Interview:
Structured - don't deviate from Q on survey
Informal - ??
Analytical - go into more depth, also look around and collect own data about person


Had to kick myself on #9 - I didn't finish reading the Q and answered A when it should be that (D) hand delivery/pick up is the best way to improve self-administered survey response rates.

#10 I have a Q on return rate graphs -- I thought they were useful for BOTH examining history effects AND estimating nonresponse bias...? I vaguely remember that this got discussed in class but didn't make notes about what Nigem said. Anyone remember why they AREN'T useful for history effects?

Note to self (#12): Interviews do NOT offer increased reliability over questionares. Or - Interviews and Questionaries have EQUAL reliability.


My notes on ch:
CAPI (Personal Interviewing): face-to-face interview where interview uses computer
CASI (Self Interviewing): 'face-to-face' interview where respondant uses computer
CSAQ (Self-Administered Questionaire): dumb acronyms - person obtains software that surveys them and they return data. (Online surveys Could, I think, be this?)
CATI (Telephone Interviewing): telemarketers and modern telephone surveys; computer dials and provides script for interviewer allowing instant data analysis
TDE (Touchtone): keep reading this as touchStone?!! - automated hell
VR (Voice): automated hell with spoken responses

Data Archives: collection of survey data available for secondary analysis. Ex is General Social Survey (GSS)
Response Rate: 50% adequate, 60% good, 70% V good
Questionnaire: "Survey used to elicit information"
Bias: Any property of Q that encourages as certian answer (wording is critical)

2 Comments:

Blogger harvestorm said...

Do you remember any of this being in the MC Exam? If so, what exactly?

7:56 PM  
Blogger Clstal said...

Not a clue. I hadn't done the homework (semi-intentionally -- I seem to do worse on the MC than the essay, though I feel worse about my performance on the essay ::shrug::) and my hope was that going through them as a way to study and 'test' myself would help.

So far, it seems to have helped (but then again, it'll be hard to say till after tomorrow) but it means I didn't recognize any specific questions when I looked over the exam.

The notes I put up were just things that seemed important to me from either class or Nigem or because they were tricky.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home