Monday, April 11, 2005

And Now on to Bigger and Better Things...

Now, I can procrastinate with the best of them, but if I can get (some)thing(s) done reasonably early or on time, I much prefer to go that route as I find it to be much less stressful in the long run.

I consider this post-exam time to be a bit of a breather period in Nigem's course and therefore a prime opportunity to address the Research Project and Article Review and their rapidly upcoming due dates of April 27, 2005. I (admittedly) have been procrastinating on this, but NO MORE!! (at least for tonight) Truth be told, I'm not even sure what we're supposed to be doing exactly.

I have this "Suggested Outline for a Research Prospectus" handout from way-back-when. Is this what he wants? (note that there are two sides to this handout - the second side being the center of my concern)

Soooooooo.....

Has anyone done anything beyond the original "proposal" and perhaps the actual creation of their survey? If so, please share. I think we can all be a great resource for one another since (as usual) the information exchanged in the classroom is in need of some discussion.

I'm going to get started on this thing (which, in actuality, if I had a better understanding of what it is I am supposed to be doing, I believe I could do in an afternoon's time) and wing it up and away until I hear from y'all.

Also, there is the Article Review. Do we just pick a random article or what?

One final note...
On the syllabus, in the Grading/Weights section it reads as follows:
Your final grade will be based (evaluated) on examinations, assignments, participation, and attendance. Weights are allocated as follows:
Four Examinations 75%
Two Quizzes* 5%
Research Project 20%
Article Review 5%

Do I need to retake some basic math course again, because according to my calculations, that's 105%.

Granted, below the percentage area, in reference to the Two Quizzes, it is stated:
[If the quizzes are not administered, their 5% allocation will be added to the examinations.]

It says ADDED! What is going on? Are we working on a crazy 105% scale here? I know that he will probably just drop the 5% from the non-existent quizzes, so don't think I'm freakin' out over here or anything, but the point is.... Hello? WTF? Don't get me wrong, I love the man! I just find this "mistake" (if you'd call it that) oddly out of character. I'm curious and amused, that's all.

So, let's get the ball rolling on these April 27 things now, while we still have a bit-o-time, and figure it out together as we move along.

La-Dee-Da,
Hope

3 Comments:

Blogger Clstal said...

This was my biggest procrastination 'thing' till last thurs, when I actually managed to get a couple of pages written.

Since I have NO IDEA if it's even remotely in the direction of what Nigem is looking for, I'm turning it into him on wed with a request for feedback.

How many article reviews do we need to do? I thought more than one but obviously, that was a damn long time ago...

Oh, and I decided I'm faking my data, though I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a survye - probably lift heavily from the surveys I'm reading about in the literature review I'm doing (cause I thought that was required, but am second-guessing that now). Yay for being an undergrad!

I can mail you what I've got so far, if youd like it. --C

9:17 PM  
Blogger harvestorm said...

That would be "da bomb"!

I did create my survey way back when we first started talking about this thing, but I never figured out what the hell to do with it, so I have not done anything more.

So yeah, e-mail me your stuff and let me know what Nigem says about it.

I think we only had/have to review one article. It's been a long time since we discussed that too, though, so don't take my word for it. I'll bring it up in class Wednesday and make him talk about it at least a little bit.

-hope

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know that his office hours are helpful!

I'm turning in a very rough draft to him today in the hopes of getting some meaningful feedback (and having enough time to get more feedback from him before actually turning it in), particularly on the data analysis section.

--C (posting anon from school)

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home